Monday, November 28, 2011

Celebration of Life

Yesterday we celebrated Anaya's life.  It was so beautiful, just as she was.

I'd like to start with thanking all of the people who helped.  I wish I had a group picture of the wonderful people who decorated and spent hours preparing for the event.  Our whole family loves you all and our gratitude will remain always.  You made the setting for Anaya's memorial incredibly special.

The pavillion was lovingly decorated with rainbows and balloons of all colors.  The love in the room was palpable.  Anaya's spirit was with us, of that I am most certain.

I stood strong for my baby girl


At first I told a story and then spoke about Anaya.  Then Brent spoke.


 A beautiful slideshow came after that.  It was so lovely and everyone was in tears.


 Just in time to bring us back up, Carey's video montage of Anaya dancing had us all dancing and rejoicing with Anaya in our hearts.



Baby dancing at Anaya's celebration, definately in the spirit of the event!!


Bobs and Lolo sang some of Anaya's (and mama's) favorite songs, and the rainbow balloons fell beautifully from the ceiling into the gathered crowd of laughing children.


Solara and I with Bobs and Lolo (Anaya is with us too)
The Scrapbook craft table



We had a scrap booking table where 200 pictures of Anaya, a bunch of paper and crafting supplies awaited participants.  The most beautiful memories came together from the love of each hand, creating a page for our Anaya memory book.

Solara couldn't get enough of the craft table.  She made three different pages of memories of Anaya, herself and I.  All of them beautiful.  All of them bringing me to tears.

My darling Solara.  She has been such a comfort to me.  I'm so glad to have her here now.  She is happy too.  She says she doesn't yet miss Anaya, but that she knows that she is in a better place.  I let her know that I understand and that it's okay to feel what she's feeling.  When she is ready to grieve I will be here to hold her, and until then she keeps making me smile.

Solara Creating a memory page


There was also facepainting.  The joy, laughter and chatter of children was everywhere.  Such an incredible tribute to Anaya's life.

Solara, Camara, Rainbow Baby Shand and Meghan Shand
At the end of the event Brent and I surprised everyone by declaring our love and commitment to each other in a simple handfasting ceremony.  I'm now married :)  Some people would ask why we chose to do it this way and in this timing.  The answer is very simple.  Anaya was made of our love, and our love was strengthened forever by our experience with Anaya.  Our close friends and family were in attendance either physically or by heart, and it will be a day that will remain special our whole lives.  We've never wanted a fancy wedding, only something meaningful.  And that's what we had.

The Cassin-Potts 


I will post photos of our vows when I have some :) I wasn't taking pictures yesterday...

When we arrived home I collapsed into Brents arms and we sobbed our sorrows out together.

Being as how we all have been fighting colds this week, we've succumbed to it.   We need rest.

I have so much to share with you, but for now I need to get well again.

Goodnight Readers.

Goodnight Anaya - We love you 
Your bright soul shines
so colorful around us
forever you are remembered
in rainbows
and light


9 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have Solara to bring you comfort at this time. And also that you have each other. Congratulations on your marriage♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story you read was beautiful, as was the entire celebration. I think it's absolutely wonderful that you and Brent got married yesterday. The sting of death usually tears families apart yet the two of you have chose to focus on the beauty of your daughters transformation and give unselfless and unconditional love. You are beautiful people and I so greatly admire you for the parents you and beautiful spirits you have. Congratulations and thank you again for sharing Anaya with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story you read was beautiful, as was the entire celebration. I think it's absolutely wonderful that you and Brent got married yesterday. The sting of death usually tears families apart yet the two of you have chose to focus on the beauty of your daughters transformation and give unselfless and unconditional love. You are beautiful people and I so greatly admire you for the parents you are and beautiful spirits you have. Congratulations and thank you again for sharing Anaya with all of us. We fell madly in love with her and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love and Rainbows to Anaya, Solara, Brent, Camara! You have all been so present in our thoughts and wish you all the best with your journey's to come ahead. Congratulations on your marriage to one another, what a way to continue celebrating love, life, and commitment. All the best for you all and hope our paths will cross in the future. Give each other big hugs from us. Love Alan and Eliesha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love and Rainbows to you all! Anaya, Solara, Brent, Camara, you have all been so present in our thoughts. Wishing you all the best with your journeys ahead. Congratulations on your marriage and what a beautiful way to celebrate love, life, and commitment. Give each other big hugs from us and hope our paths will cross in the future. Love Alan and Eliesha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!!! Love to all xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was amazing and I wasn't even there physically. So much love in that room I can feel it while I am watching the videos and listening to you speak. So glad that you can find comfort and congratulation to you an Brent on your union <3 much love xoxo Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish I could have gone, but living so far I wouldn't have been able to make it x your family's story has touched me so deeply and I am so grateful for having known about your little Anaya xx I think of her daily and my heart breaks for you, Brent and Solara but also swells with happiness when I read of how strong your family is x I have grown to love your Anaya and pray for her everyday x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and send your LOVE!

:)