Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27, 2010

Yesterday the porter came to get us to go to surgery two hours before we expected them. It was a bit of a shock to my system. My throat tightened and my heart leaped up somewhere near my tonsils. We put her in a gown and proceeded to the Surgery unit.

It's like taxi parking for babies that need surgery. They line them up in cribs along one wall. Each crib has a team of nurses, surgeons and anestisiologists. Then after the parents have said goodbye they wheel them down the hall into their relative operating rooms.

I sat and held Anaya near her crib. Wondering if this was going to be the last time I held her warm little body in my arms and kissed her sweet cheeks. Tears dripped from my eyes onto her blankie and I felt as awful as I did the day we had to put our kitten down. They came to take her from me and I told her how much I loved her and that everything was going to be ok and that I would be okay and that she shouldn't worry about me - just do what was right for her.

Brent kissed her and we walked away together. We found some coffee and went to the waiting room. In the waiting room they have a screen that shows what part of surgery unit your child is in. Anaya is A.C her dr. was BeaudrP. She was in "OR" green for twice as long as she should have been and I started panicking. There was also this nurse who was trying to educated me about how to use the G Tube. I had a real hard time listening to her talk while I was worried about my baby being in her surgery twice as long as she's supposed to be. Then my parents and my brother showed up. We sat for a few minutes watching the screen and then the surgeon Finally came out and said she was doing great and breathing on her own!

I felt like jumping up and down. About half an hour later I got to see her in the recovery room and walk with her to the ICU. My little angel came through! I'm so glad she is able to stay with us longer. I would have missed her soooo much if she had to go already. The G tube site bled a bit but looked tidy. I took a picture of her in recovery directly after the surgery to show you.

Last night's sleep was pretty bad as the ICU has horrible cots for parents that feel like sleeping on a wire hammock. I would waken each time a bell or buzzer would go off because her oxygen level dropped or she stopped breathing for a few seconds. It was stressful.

We are being moved out of the ICU - Anaya is tolerating being fed through her new tube. I think we should be able to go home early this week. I will blog again as soon as I can.


  1. Hallelujah. You did good, Camara. Remember if you have any questions feel free to ask.

  2. Way to go Anaya, you are such a little trooper! And Camara, you are so unbelievably strong, I truly believe your strength feeds Anaya everyday, helping her each step of the way.
    I would never doubt for a second that your mother visited you. She is watching over you each and every day, and knew you needed her comfort that day.

  3. Camara! You are so brave. What a gift you give to Anaya to tell her that she just needs to do what is best for her. The picture of you holding sweet Anaya just before her surgery is heart wrenching. You look so determined but afraid. I am so proud of your wonderful little family. You continue to inspire me with your words and your love. I am glad that your mother is watching over you in this time of need. I hope the rest of the recovery goes really well. Jordan and I think of you often, daily, and we are always sending you positive energy.

  4. please have you tried any alternative medicine? traditional chinese medicine has cured some many diseases that western could only tag with names. please see a tradtional doctor in your area, or at least inquire as to what they might be able to do for her.

  5. Saw your family's story on and just wanted to say your daughter is absolutely beautiful! You are all in our prayers and wishing you very Happy Holidays from the U.S.


Please feel free to comment and send your LOVE!